The Peacocks

Ezra Azra

Copyright 2023 by Ezra Azra

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

Gordon Peacock and Thomas Peacock were not related. Since they were already adults in the 1930s, facts about most of their early lives are either unknown or apocryphal.

Their tale begins with them living in the town of Lethbridge in the Province of Alberta in Canada. There are no official records of where or when they were born.

They were married to women, Margaret and Judith, who were unaware that their husbands were in a homosexual relationship, from their kindergarden sandbox years.

In those times Lethbridge consisted of a few wood buildings that served persons engaged in travel to and from places across the border into the U.S.A. State of Montana.

In the Winter months, from November to March, Lethbridge was covered in knee-high snow. Most of the town was not lived in. Most citizens moved to other towns for the Winter.

In those months, both Tom and Gord lived with their wives in the Alberta town of Calgary, about a hundred miles north of Lethbridge.

All four of them were schoolteachers. None had formal training and, or, education to qualify them as schoolteachers.

In those days in Alberta, Canada, anyone who could read and write and count to one hundred without pausing to calculate, was qualified adequately to be a school teacher. In those days in Alberta, Canada, there was only one school; it was in the town of Calgary.

In those days, in all of Canada, neither education nor training was provided officially for anyone to qualify as a schoolteacher. Persons who could read and write, engaged in teaching in order to earn a few extra coins.

In Calgary, schoolteachers were paid by their students, most of whom were working adults. Most classtimes were conducted in the homes of the adult students, at their convenience.

Tom and Gord fully exploited the five months of weather-caused dire inconveniences to carry on illegal transactions out of snow-bound Lethbridge, and to enjoy their secret homosexual bonding.

They were exceedingly grateful for the undercover of snow, because in those times, homosexuality was punishable with public lynching. Sometimes, too often, tickets were sold to the public for seats at the hanging, as righteous entertainment.

The illegal transactions of Tom and Gord out of snow-bound Lethbridge was mainly in assisting persons wanting to enter either country, illegally. The destination from Lethbridge, Alberta, was the equally snow-bound town of Shelby in Montana. The transactions were highly profitable, especially since all the income was hidden from Government income tax.

One transaction was of particular note. A husband and wife of a foreign country had paid the exorbitant fee to be escorted into Montana from Alberta. They expressed their thanks and gratitude by gifting a lucky penny to each of Gordon and Thomas. They assured the Canadian entrepreneurs that the pennies assured that each would never be lost to the other.

Although Gordon and Thomas were outwardly gracious and sincerely thankful for the gifts, inwardly they dismissed the assurances against loss as harmless and meaningless superstition. Then, too, there was a language issue. The couple were foreigners whose Canadian was far, far from grammatically adequate. There was a distinct probability that their use of the word "assured" carried a meaning quite different from "assurance."

That did not bother Gordon or Thomas. Their sole interest was in being paid their criminally unreasonable fees. Beyond that, they could not care less about the incorrect use of nouns, pronouns, verbs, and other parts of speech. They stashed the pennies away, and promptly forgot about them.

In both towns of Lethbridge and Shelby, the small population of permanent citizens showed no concern about the comings and goings of illegal persons. Indeed, it was more likely that the benefits to the local economy from all the illegal secret shenanigans were welcome.

After years and years of ever-increasing success, disaster struck.

Gordon and Thomas operated their illegal business at night. Usually, they crossed the international border into Montana from Alberta late in a dark, snowing evening, to return to Canada in the snowy predawn dark hours of the next day.

In the town of Shelby in Montana, they parted, professionally and friendly, from their clients, in a bus terminal on Main Street, and immediately set out on their return to Lethbridge.

On one early morning night, as they were preparing to leave the terminal, they were approached by four Montanans who wanted to discuss a business deal.

The illegal foreigner Canadian Peacocks were immediately suspicious, but had no choice but to agree to listen.

The leader of the four introduced himself as John Underwood Lewis. In order to allay the suspicions of the Canadians, he assured them he was the only Montana-born citizen among the four. The other three were former Canadians, now naturalized citizens of the U.S.A. Lewis invited the three to introduce themselves to their native countrymen. They were Daniel Patrick Kelly and his wife, Diana Mady Kelly, and Lionel Walsh.

In further assurance to Gord and Tom, Lewis observed that all three of his Canadian-Montanan partners were homosexuals, like Tom and Gord. He was right; that fact did help assure the two from Lethbridge. Negotiations were discussed in the next three nights; always in Shelby.

Gordon observed to Thomas that, he, Gordon, began to not trust the three Montanan Canadians, beginning with their continual preference for vulgar language in their suggestions of degenerate pleasures. Gordon observed to Thomas that those three Montanans were being needlessly over aggressive in their proposed business terms. Gordon took to carrying a hidden illegal loaded hand gun; Thomas was alarmed, and tried to dissuade Gordon. Something went wrong on the fourth night.

A fight broke out in the terminal. A gunfight erupted. Thomas fled; he forever claimed he did not know what caused the fight; not even if strangers were involved.

He lost all contact with Gordon. Over the following weeks and months and years, he found out that among the dead on that night, was John Underwood Lewis, and the three Montanan Canadians. Thomas was forever puzzled at why Gordon did not flee to Lethbridge with him, but, instead, chose to escape deeper into the United States.

The Montana authorities were furious about the death of John Underwood Lewis. He was of the family of the State's hero, Meriwether Lewis, after whom a section of the Montana Rocky Mountains is named. The Governor of Montana declared the search for the killer or killers of John Underwood Lewis, would never cease.

For the next forty-years-or-so, Gordon Peacock lost himself so cunningly in the U.S.A. that nobody in Canada, not even his wife or his homosexual buddy, knew where he was.

When Gordon's wife in Lethbridge, Margaret Faulkes, became suicidal in the absence of her husband. Thomas gave her a lot of money to return to her native England to wait for Gordon's return. She accepted the money, and left. She was never heard from again.

Gordon, under a false identity, became a phenomenally successful academic at two American universities; he earned many awards and medals and certificates of merit. He had found a homosexual female who agreed to enter into marriage with him in order for both of them to hide their same-sex preferences from the countless low IQ bigots in academia.

Gordon's wife's name was Georgina. He never told her of Margaret Faulkes. Gordon and Georgina lived happily ever after, commuting between Texas and New Mexico, basking, wealthily, in considerable local fame and celebrity.

After those murders in Shelby, Thomas Peacocke ceased the lucrative business of illegal aliens.

Down the years, Thomas dared not try to locate Gordon, out of fear of being accused of being an accomplice. His life without Gordon was far, far from peaceful.

His many subsequent homosexual partnerships all failed. He had entered into them so carelessly that it was not long before his loving wife, Judith, came to know her husband was homosexual. It saddened her no end, especially because she, irrationally, suspected her husband's homosexuality to be the cause of their marriage producing no children.

In her last years, Judith, mercifully, became afflicted with dementia and Alzheimer's, so that she did not know who Thomas was. She died at the age of eighty, peacefully in her sleep in the City of Edmonton, Alberta. Thomas lost his mind. He ranted and screamed. He died, far away from home, thirteen months after Judith's death. He was at least eighty-nine years old.

After the death of Judith, Thomas suffered uncontrollable ugly fits of mindless blitherings. In his ramblings he dwelt inordinately and incoherently on Gordon's unavoidable murder of John Underwood Lewis in Shelby, Montana.

The Canadian Royal Mounted Police became interested in Peacocke's ramblings because the unknown whereabouts of murder-suspect Gordon Peacock for forty years was an embarrassing stain on their law enforcement reputation.

Out of the blue, and spitefully and vindictively, Thomas crazily referred to his penny as a clue. The Police, at first, did not see a connection. Nonetheless, they took the coin and examined it, electronically. They detected magnetic properties and radiation emissions. These properties and emissions invited global tracking.
Nobody knows just when Thomas Peacocke died in his bed. He died with his eyes wide open, and a look of fright in his face as if he had witnessed an oncoming terrifying personal catastrophe. His corpse, was not found for weeks.

Tom's penny led the Canadian and American Police to Gordon's penny. Although Gordon had never paid any attention to the coin, he had not gotten rid of it. It had been long forgotten in a box of many silly knick-knacks.

The significant local celebrity of Gordon and Georgina made tracking down Gordon's penny far easier than it would have been, otherwise. They were located living in Austin, Texas.

Both the Canadian Royal Mounted Police and the U.S.A. law enforcement officers, in their excitement at eventually being on the brink of solving so old a Cold Case, were criminally sloppy in their investigation.

When some local citizens became aware the foreigner murderer of a member of the family of national hero Meriwether Lewis, was living in their town, they erupted into an angrily patriotic mob.

On a Friday 13th, October, at about 4 o'clock in the afternoon, Gordon and Georgina, were lynched, stark naked, side-by-side, from a city lamp post by a mob of citizens, on Lewis Lane, Austin, Texas.

Contact Ezra
(Unless you type the author's name
in the subject line of the message
we won't know where to send it.)

Ezra's Story list and biography

Book Case

Home Page

The Preservation Foundation, Inc., A Nonprofit Book Publisher